playa

playa

Friday, June 28, 2013

Don't blink

I am here!  I will begin this blog by saying that airplanes are my least favorite of places.  There were just too many storms on the way down here.  In Atlanta, our flight was delayed on the runway (1.5-2 hours... I turned off my phone to quit looking at the time).  Now that I look back on it, I think that the flight gurus were deciding whether or not to cancel it.  They mentioned something about figuring out a new flight path.  So we take off and everything is great. We hit some patches of "rough" air along the way, but nothing serious.  

I am sitting next to the most posh and tude'y 14 year old from France and a sweet, tenacious woman in her 20's from the states. After about 2 hours of doing our own thing we start conversing. Very lovely ladies. The French girl was cracking me up and her name is Cosette.... She has  on tight, ripped jeans and a leather jacket.  Her hair is pulled and hair sprayed framing the left side of her face with bouncing brown curls.  She and her family are visiting their missionary side of the fam who now lives here.  The blonde-haired, blue eyed American is traveling with two Nica friends she made in college.  She has never been out of the country, so I helped her with her travel visa documents and told her all some things to expect. We chatted about our Nica plans for a bit, and then we all started to doze off. 


Out of no where, the plane drops.  I feel like I am driving my old Jimmy with its busted shocks and fake 4WD through  roads in Latin America.  The only difference was, I am stuck in a plane, I can't see shit, I have no control, and my stomach is in my throat.  everyone is screaming. A woman to left of me starts convulsion crying. And then we feel the nose of the plane start to dip down.  All three of us looked at each other.  Cosette grabs my white knuckles.  Her dad, who is behind her, grabs her shoulder and says I love you in French.  Blondie screams.  I tense up so tight it got a charley horse. This was the most scary plane trip I have ever experienced. It beats the Laguardia ice landing.  Eventually, after probably 20 minutes of dropping, shaking, and nose tipping due the violence of mother nature, the pilot pulled the plane back up over the storm.  Everyone immediately started clapping and hugging. The three of us look at each other and start laughing??  It was actually hilarious, mainly because of the inappropriate timing, and it was three female strangers who didn't know how to respond to this little miracle.  


I told my dad that a thousand Hail Mary's (Catholic prayer) came out of my subconscious and I repeated it until I started forgetting the order of words. 

I know this little upcoming thought may seem cheesy, everyone has plane issues, people are always mostly fine, blah blah.  But I felt that I was so close to "knowing" that this could be it. Life is uncertain. A long Life is not guaranteed. Take each day at a time.  Love the ones you care about and reach out to those in need, even those who you might not care for. Instead of dreaming of money of material things, dream of leaving a positive impact on everyone around you.  Because in the end, that is all that matters. I wish for everyone who reads this blog, that they will see the light of this country, and maybe be inspired to come here and volunteer and be a witness to this amazing culture and her beautiful people. 


Salud!

Song of Day/Night: I am Blessed to Be a Witness _por_ Ben Harper

1 comment: