playa

playa

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hard times

Abuelita, the mother of Dona Espiranza, is in the hospital. Before I arrived in Nicaragua, she had a surgery done on her large intestine.  I think it was cancer, but I'm not sure.  She had been having pain in her abdomen for a few weeks so she went back in for a colonoscopy.  They found some necrotic tissue (I think), and the hospital scheduled her for surgery. Last week, she went in.  She is still not back. 

The doctors discovered something is going on with her heart. From what I dissected, I think she had blocked heart vessels, resulting in some kind of myocardial ischemia.  I'm not sure because I am having to try and understand non-technical medical slang in Nicaraguan Spanish.  The important issue here, is that she is not doing well. Dona Espiranza has been very sad.  But she is sticking to her routine with taking care of her father, house, and me as much as possible.  She takes a 1.5 hr bus in every day to visit her mother. 

She is one of the funniest, snappiest women I have ever met.  I hope that her wit and strength can pull her through this.

Please keep Abuelita and her family in your thoughts and prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment