playa

playa

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Last day with the team

Yesterday was officially my last day.  It was very weird and sad.  Time has flown by here.  I am ready to come home, but I am also already ready to come back.  One of my favorite things about working in the clinic is seeing patients again and knowing who they are.  If I could stay longer, I would more of that.  But I did the opportunity to see patients again who I saw the first week I was here.  I understood them better.  I could hear their words and understand their meaning.  Despite their pain, fever, coughs, whatever, all of the patients are gracious and kind and appreciative. I really cannot wait to come back.

I also have another like, which is kind of not a good thing.  I really like giving shots.  However, the shots I give are insulin and it's for patients whose blood sugar is over 300mg.  So... I also hate having to do it.  The first one I gave to older gentlemen and my hand was so shaky.  He was tough and patient with me. Now, I am a pro.  Well, I could probably use some guidance. I was just handed a syringe and told in Spanish what to do. I sort of watched Marvin do it once. Yay for second year of med school! Hopefully I will be able to perfect these little skills. 

After clinic we went to lunch as a group.  Mario, and the who crew really, were so nice and appreciative. It was very touching.  I have loved working with this group of people.  I hope that one day when I have my own clinic, I am lucky enough to work with people like those at Clinica Alabama. 

Marvin, Etienne, Anne, and I went to grab one last rum and coke at Cafe Isabella. It was bittersweet for me.  


I am so grateful for this experience and for meeting and working with such amazing people.  I have learned so much from being here. 








No comments:

Post a Comment