playa

playa

Thursday, July 11, 2013

A little bit of this and that...

I have a nice long post coming up about Clinica Alabama probably this weekend.  I keep forgetting to do this everyday, like I said I would.  So family and friends, this one is for you so you know I'm still here and haven't expatted/ faked a mysterious disappearance... yet. ;)

I've been hanging with the docs the past few days. And next week Frenchies and I get to venture to the big hospital.  One of the students, Aurhencuruvru (something beautiful in French that I don't know how to spell), is a 6'3'' man who not only forgot his white coat but also scrubs.  I, too, did not bring my white coat.  Since I am bit over the average height of a woman here, it was difficult to find one that fit me.  Dr. Villareal did bring one to me.  It can fit a teenager in the states.  Not great for one who has broad back and shoulders due to swimming and rock climbing. But it works.  For Frenchie... he could barely find scrubs long enough.  And they still look like high-waters... is that what they are called?  We are supposed to go to the hospital next week, so we might trek into Managua before to see if we can't find a mutant size of  white coat. 

We have had some interesting cases.  They are interesting because the people who come to this clinic are so poor.  So they have conditions that are totally mismanaged, or not managed at all, and would otherwise go unseen. Blood sugars close to 400. Systolic blood pressures close to 200. Diastolic at 100.  Vomiting for 5 days. Parasites for months.  25 year old women who weigh 70 to 80 pounds, not because they have an eating disorders. Abscesses. Unmanaged osteoarthritis. Malformed anterior fontanelles. Completely debilitating ocular conjunctivitis, resulting in near blindness.  Possible breast cancer. Prostate cancer. A variety of things every day. 

I have worked in free clinics in the states.  Even though I saw a lot of the same things, like hypertension and diabetes, most of it was managed.  Or at least the option was there.  Think of one free clinic serving all of Greenville, Pickens, and Oconee counties.  That's kind of like this Clinic.  They get patients from Nadaime, Masaya, Granada, and little towns and villages all around. There are some other free clinics around, but this one is the one to wake up for at 4 or 5 in the morning to get started on a long walk to be there at 8am.  Then possibly have to sit around until 12:45 to be seen. All while being sick. Long day...

Some friends and family have expressed interest in donating to the Clinic.  I will post wither tomorrow or Monday some history on the clinic and ways to do that.  I appreciate all of the support I am getting for this trip.  I have received many thoughtful emails, and I hope that one day you can experience this country.  There's really nothing like it :)

The kids at Carita Feliz on a summer vacation for a week. I did not know this until I walked, rather than bike, to school.  Upon arrival, two of the students in the 4th grade class were riding their bike, and say "Ashley..... Fuiste???  Jajajaja!" 

To pass the time in the afternoons, I have been spending my afternoons sick.... and also exploring the streets.  So kind of good timing for whatever bug crept it's way inside me- los banditos. Whilst exploring, I got a little obsessed with the wooden doors and iron gates. I take after my papa :) I live in a city obsessed with these creative doors and sidewalks (just wait for it) and paint jobs.  So colorful, just like her people. I took like 50 pics of doors, but I'll spare you..

Also here is video of the endless rain monsoon of today.  You'll notice 2 buckets.  Those are filled from today, and they will be used tomorrow for cooking, cleaning, washing, and drinking. Free water!! Thank you mother nature! Click This.


Iglesia  de Xalteva


color and horses



















another Mombacho.. love a good Cloud Forest



This is a papaya. I usually can't stand the taste of this fruit.
It tastes like a mucous covered dirty sock.
But...
If you score the outside a little with a machete,
and allow it to sit in the sun for a day...
and it's not GMO...
it is juicy and delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment