playa

playa

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Volcan Mombacho

On the 4th I met an awesome dude from VA and I asked if I could tag along with him to go hike around Mombacho.  On Saturday morning, he and two of his friends picked me up outside of Kathy's Waffle House.  Great breakfast.  Good place to go if you need a breakfast that isn't automatically served with gallo pinto.  Note: I evaded public transport. lazy me... I'm sure within my 40 day stay, my time will come.  Granada to Managua was easy... straight shot, window seat.  I know the difficult is coming :)

taken from Travel Virgins
I have been to Mombacho before, but I had never done the hike we planned on doing... the Puma Trail.  And yes, there have been puma sightings and attacks.  We paid the $15 each to take the truck up to the top via steeeeep roads and hair pin turns on bumpy, pot hole riddled roads. Like most, public transport, we are crunched in like little sardines. The ride was like the uphill part of a roller coaster, execpt in a Nica truck while spinning tires thanks to it being the rainy season.


At the top of the Volcano, we hired a guide.  Being the true gringa that can be sometimes, I am thinking, "What the hell do we need a guide, this isn't my first rodea with nature"... Here and here is some info on the volcano. Over 100 or something different species of orchids. Thousands of species of animals, reptiles, amphibians, plants. All set in an enchanting cloud forest on a volcano with 3 craters.  Yet again, Nicaragua has humbled me. Our guide, Agostino, was necessary.  This was the steepest trail I have ever done.  The most slippery. And the fear of an unaided puma attack was lessened by the presence of someone who does 3x a day while equipped with a walkie talkie. It was a tough hike.  It stormed and monsooned on us for a good 45 minutes.  And it was humid.  I lost count on the number of "steps" we went up and down.  My calves are still burning.  Here are some pics.  I'll post more on Flickr.... when I get a chance. :)



                                        
 Two different types of Orchids in a tree












No comments:

Post a Comment