playa

playa

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Relationships

I want to talk about some of the people, specifically non-Nicas, who I have met here.  This is my 4th visit to Nica, and my 2nd extended stay here.  I swear every time I come, I meet so many people who reaffirm why I keep coming back and inspire me to stay on this path  of improving health in Nica.   People like the ones I am about to talk about, and myself included, come here for a reason that is surprising to most.  Yes, Nicaragua is beautiful, physically.  It even sounds exotic to say Nicaragua, and people think you are adventurous for traveling here. However, there are plenty of other countries that are much more "USA and general-traveler friendly", accommodation-wise (AC, hot water, sewage, potable tap water, on-time transportation, less encounters with starving children and stray dogs.  So why do people keep coming back instead of checking out these easier places?  

After a little more than a week of being here, I have realized that the true purpose, for me, is  becoming less about learning medicine.  Instead it is about witnessing the true needs here, so that in the future when I am more adept to impact, I will know how.  The trip is so different from all of the others.  When I came down here with Manna Project, Inc, we were working with the poorest of the poor Nicas.  But I was living with 10 other USAmericans.  This trip I am alone.  I have “telenovela hour” with the ladies of the house: Esperanza, her mother, Yelena, and Maria. I watch Amores Verdaderos… so good.  I eat my meals with my host family.   I get ice cream with Yelena.  I sleep in the hottest room, sharing it with mosquitos and lizards.  I wake up to the smell of gallo pinto and burning trash (bad as it sounds, I kind of like "Burning trash" smell.  I literally eat, sleep, and breath Nicaragua.  What have I learned?

Nicaragua is about relationships, love, humility, and patience.   Even though I am learning about drugs and diseases, I am learning more about how to build lasting relationships with the people I am treating.  Medicine is intimate. In order for those who you are caring for to trust you and tell you what they truly need, beyond the obvious, you must have a relationship.  That is key especially in Nicaragua.  

I have met some other people who are here to build those mutually nurishing relationships and to empower people to make culturally appropriate changes to improve their communities. 

Cheri Mauldin, Missions of Grace
In an earlier post, I talked about the lack of specific services here, such as mammograms and ultrasounds, referencing the patient with the lump in her breast.  After that experience in the clinic, I went to the 4th of July party at Eliza's house. At some point during the party, I ended up talking to a woman who I can honestly say is true a hero.  Cheri is from the states.  In 1994, Sherri and her husband moved their immediate family of 12 to a rural region of Northern Nicaragua. They lived without running water and electricity for a number of years, becoming humbled by a foreign and indigenous people.  She told me a story of how she took this gardening class before coming here thinking she could spread her Western knowledge.  Upon their arrival, she threw on her longest skirt and developed a plot of land for gardening.  She had noticed how there were no other gardens anywhere, so she thought " wow, I'm really gonna change some lives".  The Nica women just looked at her like she was crazy.  Well, her garden was planted, things grew, and then promptly, everything died.So she tried it again, this change changing her technique.  She gave her garden more attention and encouraging prayers. Same result.  Finally she did something that is surprisingly very rare of NGOs and missions to do when they come here.  She asked for help. THe women smiled, quietly forgave her :), and explained that their soil was not good for growing vegetables during that season.  and all she had to do was mix the soil with lime.  

I could write a novel on her. I hope someone will one day.  Her philosophy is one that humans should follow everyday. She believes n respecting cultures and traditions and knowledge.  Rather than showing people how to to something, she empowers them to do it their way, sometimes with a little tweeking. 

Most importantly  she believes life is about relationships.  It doesn't matter if you have it all or have nothing, as long as you have relationships with people, you have everything. 

Update: She is now a grandmother of 5. All of her family is back in the states after spending most of their lives in Nica, except for one daughter.  Sara just had her 1st child and lives with her husband in San Juan del Sur. 

Nishant, Peace Corp, Virginia
Nishant is probably one of the tallest people living in Nicaragua at the moment;) Nishant hails from Virginia, USA and is a recent graduate of William and Mary.  Next August he will be matriculating to Emory University to achieve a Masters in Public Health (whoop whoop!!) with a concentration in Global Health.  Currently, he works in the Peace Corp office in Managua.  He also has a resident card for Nica… jealous.  He knows 2 dialects of Indian and Spanish, along with English. He loves learning about the culture of Nicaragua and loves the nature in this country as well. His job is all about developing rapport.  

Juan and Becky, Venezuela and Massachusetts
Jaun and Becky live in Granada and work for an NGO that supports small businesses in Nicaragua.  Becky received her MBA with a concentration in International Business and wants to continue work in Latin America.  They both have a deep appreciation and respect for Nicaragua and all of Latin America.  They are a power couple and they are so cute in love with each other it was gross, (in a awww kind of way).

Stephanie,  Canada
Stephanie is a 22-year-old McGill graduate. She also works for an NGO that support small businesses and another that supports the arts within education here in Nicaragua.  She has been living in Esteli since May, and she has lived and traveled all over Latin America. Relationships. Empowerment. Feminist. These are all terms that have profound meanings for her. I had the opportunity to have a great dinner with her and listen to some wise words. I couldn’t say anything because I was so impressed by her passion and beliefs.  Literally, I was speechless.


This country is great for the people.  THe natural splendor, food, and views are extras.  The people here are gracious, kind, and respectful of each other and really everyone.  Family is number 1, next to God. You'll see people at 2 and 3 in the afternoon and think, "Why aren't they working" and "Maybe this is why they are poor".  But you see them sitting in the shade with their children and friends.  Teaching each other handicrafts or enjoying a snack or a beer (not the kids...jeje). 

Steph reminded me of this story from Mexico, and I have heard derivations of it from many other Lating American cultures. But I believe we all have something to learn from it regardless form where it comes from...


An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. 

The Mexican replied, ‘only a little while.’ 

The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? 

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. 

The American then asked, ‘but what do you do with the rest of your time?’ 

The Mexican fisherman said, ‘I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, make love with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.’ 

The American scoffed, ‘I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.’ 

The Mexican fisherman asked, ‘But, how long will this all take?’ 

To which the American replied, ‘15 - 20 years.’

‘But what then?’ Asked the Mexican. 

The American laughed and said, ‘That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!” 

“Millions - then what?” 

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, make love with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

source





No comments:

Post a Comment