playa

playa

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy 4th Eve!

The last two days have been 2 of the most tiring days of my life.  I am only in the clinic for 5 hours a day, but we pack in at least a whole days worth of patients and work into a 4 hour time period.  Since we only have two doctors on hand, sometime the other student and I have to perform preventive measures while the patient waits.  For example, if someone has a systolic blood pressure over 155 or diastolic over 95 (healthy <120/90), they get a beta blocker under their tongue.  And if someone’s sugar is over 300, they get an insulin shot.  Over 400, someone walks them to hospital.  Diabetes is surprisingly prevalent.  Surprising because the food they eat seems so much healthier and more natural.  However, the street vendor food is not so healthy. It’s like the most delicious smelling bread doused in sugar and honey as well as yummy Nica doughnut treats.  Thank God for Celiacs, because I would come back diabetic and muy gorda.

Another thing that this clinic lacks, that I have never thought about being a helpful tool, is a scale for babies and toddlers.  Kids get scared seeing a huge scale for the first time, so they won’t stand there for long.  Babies can’t stand obviously.  So we have to weigh them with their mom and then either I or Rachel hold the baby while we weigh mom without her kid. Also, on the note of parenting, we had a 13-15 yr old breastfeeding a 2 year old in the clinic. Obviously, I know teen pregnancy is a thing, especially here, but I have never seen someone so young breastfeeding before. 

 There is a limited supply of gloves, which I think are reserved for the doctors.  We only use them when we are slammed and do all of the diabetic’s blood sugar at once. And we only wear one. Dealing with needles is scary, even if it's for a simple finger stick.  We use the One Touch system and something like this at-home finger pricker.  Our are older versions, and we don't have the option of an automatic release of the used lancet. Needless to say, we are super careful and try to take our time.

Sidenote.  I am sure Anne and my Aunt Denise can relate to this.  We have some really really old people come into clinic.  Fully functioning 95+ year olds.  Every time I do a blood pressure, I think I am going to break an arm because they are so thin!!! I could wrap the BP cuff around their arms 3 times.  One time my dad and I saw the oldest couple in the world in Mexico, but I think these Granadians have them beat.

I helped out in the pharmacy as well.  We get the Rx’s from the doctor, and put the pills in baggies.  On a piece of cardboard cut from a box that onc housed medicine, we write down the name of the drug and the directions: “Un tab, tres veces diario”.  Marvin is the pharmacist.  I am pretty sure that he hasn't gone to pharmacy school.  He volunteers his time in only air conditioned, non-Doctor area in the clinic.  He looks up interactions on the computer while listening to Bob Marley and reggaeton. He's knows quite a bit about the drugs he is prescribing.  And he’s hilarious.

I have also been visiting Carita Feliz a lot.  I am helping the 4th grade class.  They are a crazy bunch of kids.  Miguel has become a favorite of mine. And 2 other little girls, Maria and Audelis.  They are great dancers. What am I saying, I can;t pick favorites.  I love this class. I tried to take pics today, but Miguel kept taking my camera to take pictures of his mouth.  I am supposed to be helping in pre-school too on some days, but I can't stay away these cuties!

Miguel and Kenner(?). They dont sit still.


Tomorrow, Rachel and I will switch with the French MD’s, and I’ll get the chance to have no clue what’s going on with the Docs.  Rachel is a 4th year med student in England, and she is fluent in Nica Spanish. Then later in the afternoon, I’m taking the Express Micro-bus to Managua to hang out with Bob and Claudia and celebrate Amerrrrka.  Happy 4th!! 

Here's videos taken by Miguel and David!  They are in the process of learning a new traditional dance. Here are Youtube links for a little beter quality: Video 1  Video 2









No comments:

Post a Comment